Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mother Promises not To Date Pete

Today I have been thinking about Mom and I remembered the story of Pappaw not being able to tell them apart. Mother said that he would never admit it but it was true. Dorie had a date with Pete Kemp. For some reason Pappaw did not want Dorie to go out with him. He came into the livingroom where one of the girls sat working on something. He said, "Now sweetheart I don't want you going out with that Kemp Boy. Do you understand? The twin said, "But daddy I ....." He would not let her say another word. He said, "Don't interrupt me Sugar just do as I say" "But Daddy------" "No I said not another word just promise me you will not go out with him." She sighed because she knew it would do no good to try to change his mind and she said, "I promise." Later that afternoon Pete Kemp came to pick up Dorie. Pappaw said to Dorie,"You promised me that you would not go out with him." Dorie looked and him with a puzzled look and said, "I haven't talked to you today." Mother said, "I have and I promised you I would not go out with him and I am not." Pappaw grunted, turned, and stalked out. Mother was doing her best not to fall in the floor laughing. Dorie not only went out with Pete but she married him. They had many happy years together before Uncle Pete died. Pappaw and Uncle Pete got along fine and we never knew why he did not want Dorie to go out with Uncle Pete.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Mom, more posts please.